4.6.09

pioneer children sang as they walked

I was seven years old when Jenny and I decided that our life goal+dream was to work at This Is The Place State Heritage Park. Think about it! Bonnets and calico and chickens to feed in the morning! Only the age restriction kept us from pulling a handcart up the hill and joining their ranks right that minute. In the meantime, we busied ourselves with drawn-out summertime dramas involving several grass-and-weed stews and a few deaths by cholera.

So, okay, I go through historical phases. Luckily this one didn't last long enough to see us in boots and bloomers at East High, but after Monday's trip to This Is The Place I may be rethinking career choices. It was better than I ever remembered.

Basically, they've completely revamped the place and made it all the better---roads run off Main Street out to old mills, lonely farmsteads, or Native American villages. You can catch a wee train just outside the Huntsman Hotel for a full tour or a quick trip up the steeper hills, and an even more miniature locomotive takes you around the mill pond for a sweeping view of Salt Lake City below. The village houses have been painted over and tidied up, the corner bank is up and running in 1850s currency, and the news shop is surely rolling out the latest issue of Deseret even as I type. Even on a late Monday afternoon, the park was a busy, vibrant place.

Plus, you learn lots! The docents can answer most any question put to them and talked to us about everything from spinning wool to weighing gold dust, and an Apache warrior took us through Shoshone tepees and Navajo hogans. Come closing time, we actually didn't want to leave. First adventure of June? We give it a win.


4 comments:

Allie said...

Looks like fuuuuunnnnn!

Sum said...

As always, love all your pictures and adventures! You look so cute in the Indian headband! I love how you go through historic phases. Um...I don't. Help! haha I need to like history more. One of my least favorite subjects. Shame, I know.

Lawsy said...

why have i never been here?

Jennie said...

Elizabeth, (firstly, sorry for the creep factor. Found your blog through Lauren's.)
I worked at This is the Place last summer! If you want to pursue your childhood dreams of working there, I would recommend it. :) And it is fun and silly and you do pretend to talk like pioneers all summer and you can work the Gardiner cabin and plant vegetables, or work in the schoolhouse and be an 1838 schoolteacher complete with Dunce Cap and Deseret Alphabet... and you might be able to take the schoolkids on tours for fieldtrips... and have work parties that are pioneer balls, complete with dresses donated by The Work and the Glory movies... and during the hot, slow, afternoons when there are no guests, you can write post that is delivered to your fellow docents by the train... and mm, ok. this is the end. mostly I'm just adding my agreement that it is a wonderful place.