2.4.09

perchance to dream

{ everything is better in miniature. via suzanne clements. }

I was dreaming about a tall ship and the East Coast when Ren woke me up last night. "Elizabeth!" she whispered, persistent. Then, "Iz!" I swung over my top bunk to look down at her.

"What? What's going on?" I was still remembering riggings and sailing knots, with no sense of the time or even really where exactly I was.

"Why are you awake?!" she asked, annoyed.

"Um, what are you talking about?"

"Why are you awake?!"

"I wasn't. I mean, now I am, but I wasn't before and what are you on about?" I looked at her, wildly confused, my eyes only now adjusting to the dark room. She flipped over onto her stomach, mumbling.

"You're so annoying," she said, suddenly asleep. I rolled back up onto my pillow and felt for my cell phone, flipping it open to check the time. Maybe my alarm had gone off, and I didn't hear it? Maybe someone had called and woke Ren up? The bright screen made my eyes water; I squinted in the sudden light. 2:38 a.m. Yep. Ren's just crazy.

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :

We haven't been getting a lot of sleep around here lately, and it shows. Yesterday it took me about twenty minutes to write a ten-line email, and last night Ren tried to spoon risotto on my dinner plate and more or less failed. Something's gotta give, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Finals are the worstest worst.

But I have finished my BritLit paper and the half-a-page introduction to my Humanities research project. So, you know. Things are looking up.

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

I totally feel you on the no sleep thing. I am really sleep deprived. Remember that time when I thought I saw the word "minotaur" in my poem, then thought I was completely crazy for about 5 minutes until I actually found the word in it? Good times.

Sum said...

Haha I hear ya. I'm happy that you finished your paper! :) It's such a nice feeling. I'm taking a few minutes break from studying to read blogs. haha And I haven't been sleeping either. Yay for the sleep deprived team! haha Ok not really.

Kelsie Lynn said...

Oh the ship reminds me of the flying one in Peter Pan! Maybe yours will take you to Neverland as well :)