29.3.07

stop snoozing?

When my alarm went off this morning, I turned it off. Didn't just hit the snooze* button---turned the whole thing off**. Which means that, when I actually finally did wake up on my own accord, it was 8.30. A whole half hour into ENG 251.

There was that moment of blind panic: kicking my comforter off and leaping to my closet, pulling on a jacket and dirty jeans, stuggling to find matching shoes. I was hurriedly pulling my hair into some sort of acceptable ponytail when it dawned on me: pointless. Utterly pointless. By the time I got to class I'd have all of fifteen minutes left. Even Hawthorne isn't worth that.

So I painted instead.

* * * * *

*snooze: does anyone else find this word as disturbing as I do? That nasal double o, the sticky z ending . . . there's always that momentary spark of disgust every morning I see it glowing on my cell phone screen---'snooze?' it says. I hit 'yes.' 'Snooze on,' it declares. Ick.

**I honestly haven't done this for at least two years. I'm still kind of sort of in shock.

6 comments:

M Shepherd said...

Whole half. I do that too. Not the alarm thing. The word thing.

Aaron said...

Meh, it was all background on puritan society and whatnot.

Gail said...

Mmm, I have discovered the blogoshpere. This could get rather addicting. Well, I've always thought that snooze uses onomatopoeia, making a snoring sound, yes? (This is Jake, by the way.)

E. said...

if you are jake, then why are you gail?

Gail said...

If I were Gail, why would I say that I was Jake. Actually, as soon as I went to your blog the computer thought I was Gail and I did not protest.

Ali said...

Way to stand up for yourself, little Jake. Way to tell an inanimate object who you are. Way to be.

You make me laugh. (I just spelled laugh, laugf.)