23.10.08

well of lost plots

I am desperate for books right now. Mad, impassioned, foaming at the mouth. And not just anything, not the holiday paperbacks in the English section—real books. Literature. Classics. My heart is aching for that reeling expansion of thought, of perspective, and I find myself distracted, flipping through the library catalogue in my head, imagining what author I could pick up next. This daydreaming does not bode well for any afternoon class, I can tell you that.

It’s not like this can’t be fixed, either.It's my fault entirely, the byproduct of my own indecision. I’ve been into the English Book Shop three days in a row now, yet to find joy. And while it’s a lovely place to be lost in, this has got to stop.

So here’s what I’m down to, and here is where I release all responsibility and leave the picking up to you:

The Age of Innocence ::: Edith Wharton
War and Peace ::: Leo Tolstoy
Mrs. Dalloway ::: Virginia Woolf
Nicholas Nickleby ::: Charles Dickens
The Bridge of San Luis Rey ::: Thornton Wilder

Every one of the above, of course, comes with a ridiculous pro/con list and about a dozen justifications on all sides. I'll spare you. Instead, all recommendations, raves, and raised eyebrows welcome. Just hurry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

War and Peace, definitely. I'm sure the others are great as well -- I haven't read any of them, except for the first three chapters of Age of Innocence -- but there's nothing like the Russians. :)

Sara B said...

I love Dickens- that would be my choice. Good luck!

Julie said...

I am highly in favor of Nicholas Nickleby as a great escape and was overall dissapointed in Mrs. Dalloway. I could not figure out why that book would even be on a classic list. BTW, I am Sharlie's mom and highly eager to meet her new firend.

your mother said...

I vote for The Age of Innocence--it's a favorite. Besides, W&P would need its very own suitcase, which I will not schlep from train to train for you.

E. said...

Wow, Note to Self: if you're looking for comments (esp. from your up-until-then-unheard-from mother), ask for literary advice.


Ben: your vote was my vote, until suitcase space talked me out of it.

Binghams: I could've guessed you'd choose that one! I'll read it once I'm home, promise.

Julie: Likewise! I am a major fan of your daughter, and Provo already seems a happier place with your family in town.

Mum: I can't believe you commented on my blog. The world has just shifted a little bit. But I like it.

All: I'm sorry I ignored every bit of advice and chose a book completely not on the list. But when Fitzgerald saunters on into a room, I'm a little bit hopelessly infatuated.