1.6.08

it's all in the cards


A lot of my life seems to be a blank slate at the moment; this final month is complete limbo, just in-between my old life and the new. July will find me jetlagged and tongue-tied, On My Own in the crazy crush of the UK. These past few weeks of packing lists have got me thinking about the bigger Things To Do, the scribbled life goals I keep folded away without a check in the box. Some deserve the neglect, FUTURE stamped loud and clear across their due dates, but most are a pathetic MEA CULPA. This is one of them.

I've long, long, long admired the world of Emily Falconbridge, especially her mini art journal challenge. Brilliant, I'd say, this is exactly the sort of thing I want to do. After which, inexcusably, I wouldn't. Well, that time is past. Today marks Week One.


For the next year I'll be art-journaling poker style, one card-sized collage per week. With a few months of traveling ahead, I figured this would be the perfect time to both set aside specific time for creating and keep it pocket-sized. Last night I gessoed a deck of Bicycle Playing Cards and stitched a little pouch to hold it all together, and today I pulled out the seven of spades to answer this week's prompt: something you are proud of.

Yep, I'm proud of the future. Which is rather forward, but true all the same. I'm not used to such a big jump without my friends and family close by, so this is all new and (to be honest) totally terrifying. And that's where the deep breath and the blind leap comes in. Huzzah!

3 comments:

april said...

Funny that I should stumble onto your blog- I have just spent some time with Emily Falconbridge. She is wonderful. Anyway, fun blog, keep it up.
-A-
www.suaviloquy.blogspot.com

Ali said...

Totally loving it! Pretty soon, you're going to be the next Marta, if not already.

Allie said...

You are so cool. I love your art journal.