18.3.08

dear world,

Sometimes I wish you were all ocean, so you could swallow me whole. Other times I wish you were only mountains, Himalayan size, so that I stand on your summits and feel invincible. Or simply a sphere of wide open spaces, so I could see clearly.

But today, I rather like you the way you are. It may be grey and almost dismal, but I saw the way the early sun tipped Timpanogos in rosy gold and how the lemon green of new grass bent soft under my spring heels. Today, you make me want to write, to capture you in words. I want to preserve this moment of quiet work as I sit behind the desk to the hum of industrial fans. I want to keep the way Jordan and I just laughed over a language barrier, debating our native English. I love how I seethe same students every week, the regulars that haunt this lab on Tuesday mornings. I love the boy in overalls at the end of Row 9, and the couple sitting hip to hip along the back wall, her short hair just inches from matching his. I love the snow that falls like glitter outside, barely-there stars that catch the weak light. One day, maybe I'll remember this. Write it into a story.

But mostly, I love that tomorrow will be completely different.

truly,
E.

1 comment:

M said...

I believe YOU will be conducting the writing workshops, my dear E.