20.9.07

phenomenon

You guys! You know the years you spend putting together skirts and sweaters and pants and pullovers? How, sometimes, we even set out our outfit the night before? Those days where you spend half an hour looking for that one Alphabet Zoo t-shirt because it's absolutely the only thing that will save your ensemble? Well, I seem to have moved past that.

That's not to say this new-found state will last, but for the time being I am enjoying a ridiculously easy time choosing clothing for the day. Every morning I pull a few choices out of my drawer or from my closet and put them together without a second thought. Sometimes I add a small accesory or try on two or three pairs of shoes before leaving my apartment, but other than that? No problem. Today I slipped on my turquoise pencil skirt and paired it with my hot pink Morocco print shirt without a worry as to whether it was too much of a color shock or not and walked to school in my white keds and a green sweater on my arm in case of cooler weather. Even a month ago I would have been overly self-conscious about this choice and the way people were sure to look at me.

But I could've cared less.

Now, this is a very new thing for me and you know what? I feel better. I literally feel better about myself and my physical appearance than I have in a long time. I feel like I walk taller, or smile wider, or see more clearly. And while I don't quite understand how this change came about or when exactly it started, I'd be more than happy to have it stay.

Of course, now that I think about it, this is probably all due to my Mum and her undeniable style.

1 comment:

Jacq. said...

I love this!!! Isn't fabulous to feel wholly yourself? I feel so today as well. By the way, I love the way you wrote this entry!