19.8.07

keep the faith

I have tried. So hard. To put this off. So far off, in fact, that it just never happens. I gave in to the blog header---the premiere deserved as much---but this, this should never have come about:

The time for a HSM2 review has come.

All guests had arrived, the red and white jelly bellies passed around, the TV tuned to Disney and the countdown begun. As both former and current students of East High (yes, THE East High) filled the room, it's no understatement to say that we were seriously jazzed---and rightfully so. I mean, this is HSM! This is your name in lights! Your time to shine! I was gearing up for elated laughter and The Post to End All Blogs. Sadly (though perharps luckily for you), I can sum it up in all of two words: entirely adequate.

Don't get me wrong---I am a serious fan of this singing sensation---but Troy, really? Did you really have to solo-dance about the golf course in all black and with so much emotion? Did you honestly need a near-Sharpay experience to see that Gabriella was, truly, the music in you? And you might have been better off without the necklace exhange ("T for Troy?"). Still, that's not to say it's all your fault. It's a musical, yes, but the smiles could have been taken down a watt or two

Here's the thing: HSM, for all its kitsch, was somewhat believable in its transitions from script to songburst. The second time around, not so much. I know, I know, it's Disney. But I think, when it comes to HSM3, we should stick to the school. There's only so much you can do with a few sprinklers and a sterling silver T.

5 comments:

Rich said...

Major disappointment, I expected more from Disney Channel.

E. said...

'ear, 'ear!

M Shepherd said...

"I expected more from Disney Channel."
Did you? Did you really? I'd say "entirely adequate" is just about what I expect from the boys in Burbank.

E. said...

Oh, Marcus. A boy so truly brilliant with so very much yet to learn.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Hi E! Thanks so much for delurking at Manic's and for this awesome commentary on #2. You pinpointed it perfectly... entirely adequate!

And you made a great point about the music just being a little bit too... I don't know, what's the word... forced maybe? Like to break up to a song?

And I'm still wondering how the hell Gabriella got the T for Troy necklace back in time for their final duet? Ah, must be the magic of Disney!

Oh, and if Zac ditches Vanessa for another starlight, well, then, he's outta here in my book!

Thanks for the comment over at Manic's, and I hope you'll chime in more. Of to surf around your blog a bit!