15.8.07

anyway.

Sorry for the small interruption; when a sister calls laughing, there's not much else I can do but join in, all other cares forgotten. What began as an insomniatic spell of nighttime wandering soon became a whirlwind tour of our deepest thoughts rooted in tales of public humiliation (think A-1 Driving School here), far-away soul sisters (hats off to Rani's Theory of the Sheep), and deepest sympathies for Laura Ingalls Wilder and her "Long Winter" (my basement room was sub-zero last night). So you can see how I could be considerably sidetracked. By the time I got around to sleep my head was pounding and stomach aching from the hard as laughing and my dreams were harried up in worries of impending bookshelves and A New Apartment. But where was I? Oh yes, guilt. Guilt drives me.

Which is why, in lieu of a real, flesh-and-bones post, this will be an exercise in S.I.A.S., or Summary In A Sentence, one of my favorite tools of brevity and one which I am indebted to Ms. E.L. Konigsburg forever*. Here's the plan: each individual adventure will have a starting tag to ground you and then a following sentence in which to sum up said adventure. Ready?

The Ritz-Carlton at Monarch Bay: "Oh, if only I had a photography boy of my own!" Olivia wailed, turning to point-and-click at the sunset behind us---and, as if in answer from the gods, there he was: all tall, dark and handsome of him, offering to take a picture of the both of us that ended in an email exchange on the beach.**

The Zen Master: In which my dad decides that he is the Ultimate Creator of all Wave Jumps and introduces not only the Bowling Pin and the Yao Ming, but a more peaceful approach to the roaring surf---much to the delight of all his adoring children.

Best of Britain: Nothing can better brighten a day than to stumble upon this boutique along Avenida Del Mar and find it manned not only by a delightfully wrinkled little lady with a lovely London lilt, but to find that she is called, truly, Pauline Duck.

Beach Read: Austenland is now compulsory reading for any and all reading this post.

Eclipse: I never thought I'd admit to reading this series, much less admit to it online, but if anyone else out there is feeling distressed and despondent after completing this last adventure of werewolf and vampire, join the club.

Yale Theatrical Society: We are most pleased to announce the latest additions to our Yale family, those who we have waited so very long for and who gave a most magnificent performance last night in their opening act, "Moving In"--- ladies and gentlemen, we give you. . . The Robinsons!

Wrinkle in Time: Yesterday, on a run to DI with my sister and ten dollars in hand, I found the most dilapidated, well-worn, beauty of a clock, and I brought it home and fixed it, wood frame, second hand, and all (most envigorating).

Jacob Black: I would not be averse to starting and maintaining a fan club (deep discussions, speculations, matching t-shirts, the works) so, if anyone's interested . . .


There you have it, SIAS, with a few liberties taken. Good thing I tend to write long, complicated sentences, yes? And now, with an hour of typing behind me, I'm off to be responsible.

......................................


* Silent to the Bone, a must-read for any Mixed-Up Files fans out there. Also, The View From Saturday. And A Proud Taste of Scarlet & Miniver. And--actually, just E.L. in general. No childhood is complete without her.

**Wow, I just stretched the SIAS rules into oblivion. It wasn't until I actually started that story until I realised that dear Jason of Long Island needed a bit more than a sentence.

1 comment:

M said...

Once again, you've managed to entertain (wide-as-wide-can-be grin and an audible laugh) and to inspire! Merci.
M