26.6.09

cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels

{ peonies are my perennial priority. image via etsy. }

There have been far too many pretty things to ignore these days, what with summer thunderstorms in the afternoon and Regina's new lyrics in my head all day. And as we head into the weekend and my final Friday here at home, I've collected a few favorites that are making my procrastination and panic a bit more bearable:

1. HEAR: Far, of course---especially Eet and of course Laughing With, but I'm a big fan of The Calculation and (when it's that signature Spektor vocal-play you're looking for) Dance Anthem of the 80s.

2. SEE: Brothers Bloom, one of those films that breathes beautiful inside+out and then gets absolutely no credit for the job. Brilliant performances, stunning set, and writing to run the gamut of intellect and imagination. An instant Top Ten in my books.

3. SMELL: Dolce+Gabbana Light Blue, bought as Liv's birthday present and stolen for today's dinnerandamovie.While it's not knocking my Burberry Brit off the shelf quite yet, this scent is seriously stellar in a range from citrus to floral. Definitely one to detour for the next time you're cutting corners through the department store and stop for a quick spritz.

4. READ: The Guardian, because when it comes to exclamation marks I tend to side with Fitzgerald, so this Stuart Jeffries article says it all. (full credit to saltbox girl for the heads-up on this one)

5. EAT: Rooster Dumpling+Noodle Bar. Might be biased, too, but I'm pretty sure the Thai Basil Rice would be top notch even if Ren didn't happen to work there. Top that off with their range of Boba bubble drinks and Rooster takes the indecision out of dinner dates altogether. Only two words left to say here: Go. Now.

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :

SEE ALSO: This pretty post over at Brunette Bombshell,
which made me nod and smile and think so true, so beautiful, so beautifully true.
The almost too lovely music from newcomer God Help The Girl,
which reminds me of the best of Lawrence Welk
and slow summer sunlight.

4 comments:

Nichole said...

Thank You! Someone else finally recognizes what an awesome film the Brothers Bloom was. I loved it!

Sum said...

Can I just say you write some of the best reviews ever? I love this list! I will definitely go check out the Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue. I'm always looking forward to more fun scented perfumes. Bubble tea is soooooo good. Thanks for reminding us of what a beautiful world we live in.

Sum said...

Oh and for a peony lover, I thought I would send you this. http://vimeo.com/4216438. Pretty cool.

Rachel B said...

Oh! Thanks for using my photograph in your post! This is a great blog!