22.5.09

be swift, my soul

I have long loved to sing Battle Hymn of the Republic. I remember singing on Friday mornings at Carden Memorial, because I loved the strength in the spirit of a hundred small voices singing with such conviction. I remember singing from the pews of our Monument Park chapel, because I loved the Sunday meetings that ended with a sure call to serve. I remember singing alongside my family, because I was convinced the song was very much our personal anthem. You see, my grandfather served as President of the Switzerland Zurich Mission and I easily associate the white cross on red with him, as well as hold him in the highest love and regard. It made sense, then, that such a grand song would include my Papa on the right hand of God---for I was long convinced the words read He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible Swiss sword, a sentence I interpreted as my grandfather fighting on the frontlines of all that's Good and True (which, if you knew him, is not far from reality at all).

He passed away yesterday. It was good news; a sweet release from long years of suffering, a day we've anticipated for a while now. Turns out that does not make this any easier. But my misquote turns to comfort now as I hum his song through the hours:

his truth is marching on.

5 comments:

Allie said...

I'm sorry to hear that your grandfather has died. I know what you mean about the relief when someone dies who has been suffering for a while, but it is also a really hard time.

M said...

Your words are beautiful. Your mother's, too. He is truly a father figure to so many, myself included. Love to all the Hursts.

Sum said...

I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss. I love that song too. Couldn't agree more with all your beautiful words.

Christian said...

It's funny, because it's a mission that has such a history for me. My great, great, great grandfather and my great, great grandfather were both mission presidents there (my three-greats was one of the first converts, too, in Lausanne) and then I got to serve there too. I guess in some way, your grandfather's legacy was part of what I got to serve with, along with my own family legacy.
Legacies like that are awesome, because you know that hundreds, thousands of people are continuing their work, without even knowing. Every missionary over there is doing not only God's work, but your grandfather's.

c said...

we sang this song in school today and i thought of you. love ya. c