1.2.08

bohemian rhapsody

It started out a whim, a casual conversation about barefeet and weekend take-out. Within seconds it was a plan: bring headscarves and a poem. And tonight it was a dream, one warm room transformed in the light of mismatched candles and the spices of Bengal tea.

Our first theme night of the year had a whole lot of gypsy to it; we came in color and flair to sit crosslegged on the floor and share a bowl of rice. We covered the floor in sheepskins and silk cushions. We doodled henna with a Sharpie. We listened to an amalgam of world music, one minute swaying to salsa and the next humming reverently to an Om chant. It was a night of laughter and love, secrets and Sarah Crew. The pink and red anklet 'round my bare foot jingled hippie happiness all the way home.

Pictures to come, but for now a few poems; we all have an early morning tomorrow and it's time to let these bangles rest.

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : :

from A: {an 8:00 class. snap snap.}

Up. Stand up.
Out. In and out.
and out again.
blues and white light
surround.
wisps of breath
spread. melt.
together. together with
me.
new light. new me.
hours still to go.
go.

Jacq: {she loves butter. and I love the unexpected dinosaur.}

Orange peacocks and buttered earth
Orange peacocks
eat my heart
when I'm not at home.
Pages blow in the wind
releases poems
into palid air
air that was breathed
by dinosaurs.
The love, lodging in the
capillaries of my soul
longs to transpire
and fill the buttered earth
and heal the buttered earth.

E: {I really was reading Churchill. and Zurich just sounded right.}

you and I walk seventh street
and always the whole thing goes both ways.

in the library I read Churchill
(IN PEACE: GOODWILL)
but the grey language of winter sings
untitled laments---
letters filed in drawers,
and Churchill, too.
I stand still, here,
and always you keep waiting.

you're throwing away
those autumnly voices
yet I collect them,
and always I am one step behind.

in Zurich
I keep crossing my fingers
but I consider to find Ourselves it takes time
the same as physicists figuring the universe.

2 comments:

Allie said...

Sigh... you make me wish my friends and I have theme nights. I will have to get interesting and organise some this year.

Jacq said...

T'was that magical!
You're such a beautiful writer E...
I love sharing life with you!