25.12.07

meri kirihimete

Kia ora, friends! It's Christmas morning here in Nelson, though it doesn't feel like it at all. The day's all rain and misty mountains---a favorite of mine but no friend to a day planned for the beach. It's just about cleared up now, though, so we're packing our bags and heading to Tahunanui in the next little bit.

So, quick update (and I won't be editing this, so apologies in advance):

I cried at first sight of land. O laughed, but N's eyes matched mine and she reached across the airplane aisle to grab my hand in a gesture of solidarity as we touched down. There's still a very surreal sense of this all being the best of dreams; I sit here at 111 Tipahi Street as if it's the most usual thing in the world. I'm here, I keep telling myself. New Zealand. Here. Home. And yet my mind refuses to process the enormity of it. Instead I feel the relief of a long absence over, like I can finally relax, let go, settle in. It's very much the same as returning from a summer's trip, fun as it was, to fully revel in the familiar and the comforting. It's been absolutely beautiful.

Oh, shoot. Tahunanui calling---um, AucklandWellingtonCubaStreetTePapaNelsonHomeNCGNCBsuperlove
churchSalomeSurprise!Macka'sAwkwardLoveLifeLaugh got to run!

(did you catch all that?)

5 comments:

M Shepherd said...

Oh, E. Not you too.
"Enormity" means "really really bad." Not "really really big".
Happy Christmas, dear!

Ali said...

I literally got the chills. I'm still so excited for you.

Happy Christmas!

Allie said...

Happy Kiwi Christmas!! We had a lovely warm day in Christchurch but it turned gross today for Boxing Day - I am still at that point at which I love the craziness of NZ weather, every moment!

Jacq. said...

It sounds beautiful. . .like a fairy tale.

Anonymous said...

A day at the beach. And we're here with the roads iced over and the temperature low enough to claim digits. ~sigh~

:)