16.12.07

if you give this girl a sharpie


She will want a piece of paper. Actually, she might want two. She'll have to clear off the kitchen table, because she likes her workspace empty and clean, but if she can only have half the table, that's okay, too. She will draw a swirl or two, but then do your dishes because the full sink is too distracting. She'll switch the music to shuffle but continually change the songs to her liking. So it's not really random, is it?

Once the dishes are done, she'll want her chair back. And the Sharpie. And another piece of paper, because your PoliSci notes aren't exactly inspiring. She'll change the music again, instrumental this time, and turn it down low---but even that doesn't matter, because once she starts drawing, nothing outside the page exists. She'll forget the music. She'll forget your cluttered half of the table. And she will most certainly forget that the most crucial to-dos on her list have yet to be ticked off.

6 comments:

M Shepherd said...

Dealership made it on your latest wonderful page!

E. said...

Can't help it---stuck in my head. And of course it has to be the one song you can't get on iTunes.

M Shepherd said...

Nor Limewire, though Jane promises they're totally releasing their next album someday.
Of course, it is on my iPod, because it's on the soundtrack for Phase.

Ali said...

I just love that you're an artist through and through.

The Sharpie. Ha. I wonder what that true love is. Let's do that sometime.

E. said...

M: and you will be sending it to me forthwith. I so love playing the "Boss M About" game.

A: 76%. As opposed to snow's 1512%. Game Over.

M said...

I love the drawing of Ruth! I feel like she needs to see it. Saw her through your window tonight. I adore her. Your words remind me of a song. Goes something like, "She likes chocolate in the morning...She'll fall asleep while you're still talking..." You know the one.