3.11.07

Republika Slovenija



I'd be the first to admit it: I am not very good at this post-a-day thing. But with exactly one hour left of November the third, I'm certainly going to try.

My grandparents stopped in Salt Lake City on their return from yet another adventure, this time bringing tales of Slovenia and stacks of superb photos to illustrate the trip. It was shockingly beautiful in the sort of way that surprises because we don't often think of that corner of the world much, and absolutely heart-wrenching in the wanderlust such scenes summoned. My mum joked later that it was simply the calling of a distant homeland, but I don't think she's far off the mark. I truly do feel a yearning for the place, a pull to these stones saturated in centuries of history. I wish I had deeper words for this yearning, but the truth is I'm tired, and such words will have to wait. Until then, take these: Slovenia inspires me, and one day I'll be some small part of her history.

And a library like this wouldn't hurt, either.

2 comments:

M said...

Wait. Wait just a second. Could it be...? Isn't that the HBLL? Thought so! Ha. I knew you'd make it before Cinderella time. And you did, splendidly. "Not good at (it)?!" Psshaw! That bologna. Or, blog-ogna. Wow. It's late. Don't forget to "fall back." Glorious!

Allie said...

Wow - those photos make me want to go to Slovenia too!