22.11.07

if you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it

No post yesterday, I'm afraid. I am such a failure. Not only did I not post, I didn't even think about posting---though that's a credit to my family, seeing as they're the distraction this time around. When I'm with them, my world is so full that I almost don't need words. So, I'm sorry. But not really. Because it's been entirely worth it.

I've been sifting through old emails tonight, working through three years of one correspondence, alternately laughing and crying. Three years of love and laughter and alliteration, of boy drama and sister feuds, family and friends. Four days ago we sent secrets flying on paper airplanes' wings, letting go of the past and embracing a future. The activity had me reminiscing, and I couldn't help but think thanks for such a kindred spirit and the so very many dear friends I am surrounded by. At this typing I am overwhelmed with a million moments to explain how grateful I am for the light you bring and the humanity! you are, but I've settled on this one in the interest of time and because my sister is making me laugh so hard I can barely type in the first place. So I've copy-and-pasted this with some hope that it might convey my Joy, and that we might continue this journey, be it frontways or sideways or squareways and any other ways we might think of.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Fish and I took the elevator to the top floor of the JFSB late that night, to throw paper airplanes from the roof and watch them fly. It would have been terribly romantic if we'd have been in love. As we aren't, he kept me laughing instead as we talked about books and Carden and third grade romances. On our way back down, Fish held to the elevator railings. "It's a Wonkavator," he said. "An elevator can only go up and down, but the Wonkavator can go sideways and slantways and longways and backways . . ."

"And frontways?" I added. He nodded and kept on, perfectly Gene Wilder.

" . . . and squareways and frontways and any other ways that you can think of. It can take you to any room in the whole factory just be pressing one of these buttons. Any of these buttons. Just press a button and *zing*! You're off. And up until now, I've pressed them all . . . except one. This one. Go ahead, Charlie."

I pressed the star for the lobby.

That pretty much sums it all up.

No comments: