1.11.07

double jeopardy

Here we are: November 1st. A month of Thanksgiving, 11:11, Carden plays and, for the crazy few, writing. Lots and lots of writing. Because November 1st marks the beginnings of National Novel Writing Month---or, as it's more dork-ily known, NaNoWriMo. 50,000 words in thirty days, a draft of 175 pages in any genre you'd like. And I have, once again, joined the madness.

Which seemed just as well, seeing as it would force Nulla out of hiding (she's currently scrawled across scrap papers and wedged between old binders) and get me back into a regular writing routine. I reworked my school schedule to include novel-writing and set my alarm clock a wee bit earlier than usual to allow for the adjustments. I'd fully come to terms with the idea, and it was settling in nicely. But that was all before NaBloPoMo. National Blog Posting Month. Because apparently November didn't have enough going on as it is.

National Blog Posting Month/National Novel Writing Month. What do you think? Would it be insane to attempt them both? For the record, I'm not dropping NaNoWriMo, just wanting to wonder if I should add NaBloPoMo (Yes, you have to say them this way. It's, um, crucial to the cause.). Both call for new writing everyday---though writing of different sorts, so that might keep me on my toes. And blogging lends itself nicely to the rant--a common side effect of the NaNoWriMo bug--and could be the perfect cure for writer's block. Dangerous, dangerous thoughts lurking here. . .

But it's not too late to stop me. This is just a post. One silly little post. One ridiculous meandering thought. But what if it's The One? What if it's the start of a string of posts--thirty, in fact, all in a row? What if . . .?

Please, somebody stop me.

4 comments:

M Shepherd said...

Well, you do blog fairly regularly anyway. Why not just commit to doing more or less what you already do?
Or stop right now.

Allie said...

I actually thought about doing NaNoWriMo this year... but then realised I'm going to be hedonistic in Malaysia for two weeks of November, so I was spared the necessity of deciding!

I have no idea what you should do. :) Sorry to be so unhelpful!

M said...

I'll say "Oui" if you say "Oui," and mid-way through we can say "Oi!" together! What do you say, E?

M said...

p.s. "Bird by Bird?!" LOVE! It will make you want to write...everyday. Maybe I'll pull it off my shelf and thumb through it again. Hot dang, I think we're on to something!