9.11.07

and we'll make a home from rented house

My family came to visit #215 last week, and my dad walked in with a laugh. "All this stuff is yours," he said.

Um, yes. Yes, it is. Because most people don't make interior decor a priority for temporary living, and if you're a university student, essays and exams usually come before curios and canvases. And maybe I would do better to fall into the category of most and usually, but I simply can't help it. If I'm going to study and work and live in this small space, I want it to be more than a house---I want it to be a home.

Which is why I've filled our flat with the familiar and the comforting, small knick-knacks to remind me of where I've been and where I'm going. The bookshelves are home to years' worth of collecting and we add new colour to the walls every day. There's a robin's egg blue kettle on the stove and an E mug at my side; mismatched plates in the cupboards and twisting bamboo along the windowsill. It goes a bit beyond the usual coed's band posters and plastic frames, I know, but some part of me hopes it reflects a love of line and colour, and might be a heaven and a haven to any who stop in.

And for the record, both roommates gave me full reign in the design department. Link below.

[second floor living without a yard]

1 comment:

Ali said...

This should be the front page story for the Daily Universe. "Girl Makes BYU Apartment Her Own." Then everyone would be inspired, and BYU living would drastically change from as we know it.

I can see it now. . .