10.10.07

the end is nigh

I woke up this morning feeling Greek. Ancient Greek. I don't quite know how to describe it, except that I had this intense desire to wear gold and loop my hair up in intricate knots and swirls---so I did. I wore a gold sweater and my gold sandals, my hair was pulled back into three twisted buns, and I wrapped a sky blue ribbon around my head, too.

I spent the day feeling hurried. I ran to class, ran to work, ran to meeting after meeting all afternoon. It was exciting, it was worthwhile, but it was terribly tiring. C.S. Lewis Society was something of a relief--we're reading Abolition of Man and had a fantastic discussion on passionate education. And I got to eat lunch with X, which never happens and was a welcome hour of happiness amidst the hectic.

I spent the evening in utter turmoil.

There I sat, absorbing every detail of Anthony Rider's lecture on Integritas, Claritas, et Harmonia: a Reflection on Aesthetics in Portrait Painting while trying desperately to record it on every blank page I had left in my folders. He had just passed the half-way mark when the strobe lights flashed on, the siren sounded its call and we were swept up and out of a burning library. Yes, this was no drill: smoke was billowing from the roof top*.

As I was on a bit of a schedule I didn't wait for the details but instead walked towards home and a WF paper waiting to be written. I had three hours until midnight, I thought. Surely that will be enough. But I hadn't factored in an empty mailbox or the full sink. The first threw me to instant despondency---the second into utter frenzy. I can't concentrate with such clutter.

So I threw the dishes into the dishwasher, scrubbed out the pots and pans, and set the cycle to Extreme Wash. I had spent all of five minutes in front of my notes when I realised things weren't quite right; water was spilling from the dishwasher like Niagra Falls, a mess of foam running to all corners of my kitchen.

And there you have it: my Wonderful Wednesday now comes to a close. A fire, a flood---what more could you possibly want?

. . . . . . . . . .

*Don't worry, I'm pretty sure it's nothing to worry about. Although it was a little eerie, seeing all the corridors sealed off with iron-clad doors and students squeezing out of every emergency exit. Crazy stuff.

**Also, as something of a side note: The first thing I noticed after my escape from the Library was an insane amount of birds careening about the black sky---except they weren't birds, they were bats. Lots and lots of bats. Now, I happen to like bats, so this was rather magical to me, but what in the world?

2 comments:

M said...

Oh, dear me. Dear, dear me. Actually, dear YOU! I hope all has settled...yes? The clock now declares Thursday. And that's ALWAYS good news.

Ali said...

My favorite part of this story is that you woke up feeling Greek. That is a great first line. Make that your first line when you publish, and you'll be on the NY Times best seller list. I love that you wore gold and did your hair all Greek like. You are the best. There's just no one else like you.