28.10.07

born anew

The most wonderfully new baby sat in front of us at Stake Conference last week, a small thing with static sticky-up hair and gummy smile. He made me think (for some reason) about my brother's birth announcement and Liz Stevens' handwriting about the border, which made me want to emulate her signature print and so I set out to try. I began intending to scribble out some old rhyme to get the hang of it, but with such a face in front of me, this came out instead:

oh! little one
oh! small thing
we have yet such
light to learn
by riding on thy wing!

oh! sweet babe
oh! wee being
your presence here
is of Grace on high
and the joy that angels sing!

Which, when I found it tucked among my journal this week at church, made me immensely happy and brought the peace I'd been seeking for. As it is, X and I are headed up the canyon for some SPP time, picnic in tow. What are men to rocks and mountains?

3 comments:

Allie said...

That is a very sweet poem.

Exactly - what are men to rocks and mountains?

Ali said...

I love those little reminders of things past that are found among pages in a journal. And that's why I love journals. Everything we write can be some sort of inspiration or simple pleasure in a time needed. So here's to your fabulous poem, and to journal keeping.

Jacq said...

I love your poem.